Friday, September 9, 2011

ONCE UPON A WEEKEND

Once upon a weekend…
An old woman  was held hostage…
By three unrelenting creatures…
Who wouldn’t let her eat, sleep or think…
Until she conjured up…
Ten new stories!..
“C’mon grandma! You promised!”
And damn it! I had! Last weekend…
When I had taken them to Red Robin.
(Red Robin is a noisy burger joint for kids)
What was I thinking?
Obviously I wasn’t.
My mind must have been altered...
By all the off-key singing waiters...
Clapping wildly for some kid’s birthday.
And so here it is–this weekend…
When I’ll be babysitting my three grandkids.
I’ve not yet packed my bags…
But I’m already practicing my storytelling craft…
Because as sure as my cat…
Is going to hurl a fur ball when I’m gone…
These three pushy little beings...
Are going to pin me down and wail…
“C’mon grandma…tell us a story!”
What, you say? That’s not so hard…
Because I’m a writer and I write everyday…
My blog being proof?
Trust me, my blog is a no brainer…
Compared to the pressure I’ll be under.
These kids aren’t ordinary kids…
They’re critics! They remember every detail, every name…
Of characters I’ve made up for the last 5 years…
Who can remember names I created on the fly?
Like Princess Slewinda, or Pharaoh Toocoolmahnen?
Ha! They do!
Every stinking little detail! I’ll be racking my brains!
So to relax a bit, I’ll do something calming before I leave…
Like sending off a few more queries.
Well, I hope at least you have a calm weekend.
So?
Have you ever been under pressure to tell a story?

Always Em-Musing

6 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh poor you. I remember those days, when I had just one who remembers all the names of all the characters I ever made up. I had to cheat though. Remembering was killing me. I finally resorted to reading Harry Potter and dubbed his story in place of mine. It's easier to remember that.

Isis Rushdan said...

What does it mean that I've been a Red Robin and I don't have any kids :)? I guess it's not as bad as Chuckee Cheese.

My nephew and my sister came to visit me a few years ago. He was five. One night, he kept asking me to keep making up stories, one after another until he fell asleep. When I reached the fifth story, I finally said, "Come on buddy, you need to sleep."

He replied, "Your stories are too good. Tell another one, this time make it boring so I can fall asleep."

Arrgh.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Lol! You make me laugh, girl! I think it'd be a great honor to be where you're at in life. I've promised myself to be a compassionate grandmother. I LOVE children--always have, even when I was a child. Funny, hu?

You know, the best kind of stories coming from Grammy is when she was a child. See how they hang onto every one of your words!

Yes, I have been under tremendous pressure to tell a story. The one of Darkspell's sequel that is!

I've written 8 stand alone books. I am a true blood pantser, though I have outlined (very loosely, mind you) a few times here and there.

You can imagine how this has posed a challenge for me. But I've worked through my writers block with lots of praying and fasting.

I know what you can do for the grandkids! Type them up and print them out and staple them together with your cutesie drawings and ask them to read them to you! *le sigh*

Happy weekend!


♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥

Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?

YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

Jennifer Shirk said...

YES! My daughter had a sleepover with a friend and as I was tucking them in, they suddenly wanted me to tell them a story.
I opted to tell them some funny stories of my daughter when she was a baby. It was a hit. :)

Jessica Nelson said...

Yes. Blech. My 7 yr old pressures me to make up new spiderman stories all the time. Talk about nervewracking!! lol

Talli Roland said...

Haha! I hope you made it through the pressure. I have been under pressure to tell stories, too, and it can turn your mind to mush!