Wednesday, January 4, 2012

WATER HOARDING

It’s torture, I tell you! Torture!
What mean fiend would do this?
Especially to a writer!
Right there in the shower…
Right smack in the middle of my creative thoughts…
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Cold water!
How could that be?
This is a new place, hot water is a guarantee!
I’m not even sharing with other residents.
Dripping, fuming…
I traipsed into the utility room to hunt down the culprit.
What the hell?
A Barbie-sized water heater?
Who would do this?
Obviously not a writer/builder.
What were they thinking? 
Obviously not about writers.
What's that you say? Water conservation. 
Puh!
I’m a writer…
I need WATER. HOT water. LOTS of hot water…
Oh, how will I ever think again?
While I was willing to bring in cable and WiFi…
I’ll have to think about coughing up bucks for a bigger water heater…
And besides, it’s not in my rental agreement.
So in the meantime…
I’m going to have to allocate my water time…
Wash hair, important body parts, shave legs first…
Second, wait for the water heater to fill up again...
And third…
Think creatively HARD and fast.
Oh, the torture! The torture!
So?
What about you?
Are you a shower thinker?
Or where do you do your most creative thinking?
And…
Am I the only one to think not enough hot water is torture?

Always, Em-Musing

8 comments:

farawayeyes said...

Welcome to the tropics. What's your water source. Here on my island it's all cisterns, you learn real fast about water conservation. Where I live it's so warm you really don't need much hot water,I haven't taken more than a lukewarm shower in months. You'll get used to it soon.

Sarah Nicolas said...

Ugh, that is the worst! Especially in January. My apartment now has "water-saving" shower heads n It's barely enough water to get my hair wet!

Jill Kemerer said...

Aacck!! I NEED hot water--lots of it! Yes!! Replace that barbie heater stat!

Anne Gallagher said...

I used to wash my hair first. THEN shave my legs. THEN take my shower. There's no such thing as "enough" hot water so you better find another way to "create".

Misha Gerrick said...

I'm a shower thinker too, but all too often, the people before me use up all my thinking water. :-/

Theresa Milstein said...

Poor you! Cold showers are the WORST. My dad didn't have hot water until he went joined the Air Force. I don't know how he survived.

Yes, inspiration definitely hits in the shower. Sometimes when I'm going to sleep or the middle of the night, too. A couple of weeks ago, it hit while I was flat ironing my hair!

Happy New Year!

Lydia Kang said...

I do my best brainstorming in the dark!

Colleen said...

I don't think in the shower, but it's one of the things I enjoy most about the day--it's healing and relaxing. If the water was cold, I think I would be really grumpy. I had only cold water a couple months in a Moscow summer, but I was in my 20s and I think my comfort threshold has shot up considerably by now.