Wednesday, February 3, 2021

UN A BASHFULLY ME

 

This post is part of the monthly blog hop/therapy session known as the Insecure Writers Support Group founded by the one and only, Alex J. Cavanaugh. If you're a writer, insecure, or just supportive of writers—insecure or not—please join us. It happens the first Wednesday of each month. It would be sweet of you to visit at least a dozen or so new blogs and leave a comment. Your words will be appreciated. Our Twitter handle is @TheIWSG and hashtag is #IWSG.   


Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!  

 

The awesome co-hosts for the February 3 posting of the IWSG are Louise - Fundy Blue , Jennifer Lane, Mary Aalgaard, Patsy Collins at Womagwriter, and Nancy Gideon!

 

February 3 question: Blogging is often more than just sharing stories. 

It’s often the start of special friendships and relationships. 

Have you made any friends through the blogsphere?


Oooo...

That’s a scary question.

Why scary?

Well...

I belong to the IWSG because I…um…well…um...I’m insecure.

I don’t interact in the blogosphere...

Enough to make friends... 

But here on the IWSG blog...

I have “connected” with some amazing writers... 

I follow them & leave comments...

They follow me & leave comments...

LOVE THAT!

But that's as far as my insecurities will allow.

E.G...

When I released my book last year...

I wanted to shout it out to the world about it...

But all I did was…

Put up one single post of me showing my book. 



The thought of asking someone 
To help in any way to promote it?

Couldn’t do it.





But the ironic thing about my insecurity... 

I used to do on-camera work for video & TV. 

Yup! 

Me!

In front of a whole camera crew. 

And I loved it! 

But the difference was... 

I HAD A SCRIPT!

And if I flubbed?

CUT! Take 2, or 3...or whatever.

I do not have a script for my life.        

If I flub...

BAM! It's out there...

No do-overs. 

And that's why I love blogging...

I write stories with my slant on things... 

Hopefully entertaining and sometimes amusing ones...

And I can edit to my heart's content.

But me just being me out there?

Not at all comfy with that. 

I do however...

Love meeting new people... 

But it usually them reaching out to me first.

Ya know how people always ask:

"If you could change one thing about yourself...

What would it be?"

It'd be my insecurity. It doesn't really serve any purpose...

And I've missed opportunities along the way.

But to my own defense...

I'm waaaay better than I was years ago. 

Well... 

Now that I spilled my insecure guts out...

How about you?

Is it easy for you to make friends on the blogosphere?

And of you could change one thing about yourself...

What would it be?

 

Always,

Em-Musing

 


8 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've done hundreds of speaking engagements and I finally realized - if I flubbed, no one had my notes and they would never know. LOL!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've grown in the past year. Never too late to promote that book of yours.

cleemckenzie said...

I'd say you're on the right track. Keep going and embrace those insecurities, just don't let them slow you down.

Sadira Stone said...

What one thing would I change? My addiction to social media! I've learned lots there and made valuable writerly connections, more so than through blogging, but I let it interfere with my writing time.
I wish you happy writing in February!

Fundy Blue said...

Haha, Em-Musing! I got a kick out of your post because it's so relatable. You can edit comments to your heart's content, too. I'd be terrified to go on a tv camera. I'd be ridiculous too, because I'm ADHD and I move and make exaggerated faces too much. My brother took mischievous delight in watching me walk across the campus quadrangle. He spied on me with a surveying instrument in the engineering building. He could easily spot me because I bounced so much when I walked and kept going on and off the sidewalk. I could wish not to be ADHD, but then I wouldn't be me! Just reach out! The IWSG is awesome!

Natalie Aguirre said...

It's great that you're trying to confront your fears. I'm really scared of public speaking even though I used to be a lawyer and talk in court all the time. Like you, I'm trying to confront my fears and am going to interview a debut author for our state-wide SCBWI next month. And I really agree with Lee's comment. Just keep plugging along.

Sarah Foster said...

I think I would want to change my insecurity/shyness, too.
Glad to hear you've come a long way.

Pat Hatt said...

Just go crazy or pretend to be a rhyming cat. After that any insecurity is gone lol