Wednesday, May 1, 2024

KNOW HOW TO " NO"


  
Hey! It's the monthly blog posting on Insecure Writer's Support Group  started by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Every month, we announce a question that members can answer in their IWSG post. These questions may prompt you to share advice, insight, a personal experience or story. Include your answer to the question in your IWSG post or let it inspire your post if you are struggling with something to say. 
Remember, the question is optional


The awesome co-hosts for the May 1 posting of the IWSG are Victoria Marie Lees, Kim Lajevardi, Nancy Gideon, and Cathrina Constantine!

May 1 question - How do you deal with distractions when you are writing? Do they derail you? 

My distractions are voices in my head....
One voice is alluring, often tempting, and sometimes riddled with guilt. 
The other voice— my muse —is my cheerleader encouraging me to stay B-I-C (butt in chair)
So, there I’ll be at my desk in my office...
With coffee steam wafting from my cup... 
Fingers poised ready to write (YAY) for a whole day when... 

Why don’t you check Amazon for a dress for the upcoming wedding?
NO! She needs to write.
Better check out airline tickets. Prices are going up.
NO! She can check later. 
There’s a new reel on Instagram with babies laughing!
NO! She’ll keep looking for more babies laughing and waste time.
         You should check out the severe weather in Mongolia. Scary!
         NO! Why should she care about Mongolian weather?  
         Let's  make those nut protein bars you saw on Instagram.
         NO! It’ll take too long. She can eat crackers now.
         Call your cousin. You haven’t talked in months.
         NO! She’ll call soon. Her cousin will understand
         How about we Google essential oils that remove whiskers. 
         NO! She can keep plucking them.
         You need to do laundry. Clean your refrigerator! Exercise!
         NO! One more day won’t matter.
C’mon…take a break and let’s watch that series  on Netflix. You deserve it. You’ve been working really hard.
ME: Well, maybe one episode with my afternoon coffee. But only one then back to work. 

So?
How do you handle your distractions?

Always,
Em-Musing
         .


7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

With a voice like that, you'd don't need enemies.

TWW said...

lol...that was good, sounds so much like the ones in my head, that are at present laughing at the fact I'm procrastinating by reading through the ISWG posts...lol

Señorida Anastasia said...

I loved reading this post really:) Have a nice day!

Miffie Seideman said...

I know what you mean about all the competing voices. On stressful days, the one telling me to go get frozen yogurt instead of writing, does win. It's always a balancing game- sometimes the voice really knows I need a break, but mostly it's just my big bad procrastination side. ;) Have a great day

Natalie Aguirre said...

I think we all go through days where our opposing inner voices pull us in different directions.

Sarah Foster said...

LOL! I'm definitely guilty of saying to myself, "I deserve a break. I'll just watch ONE episode...no, really!"

Dylan Brandon said...

I had the pleasure of working closely with Mr Pedro for several years as business partners. During the time that Pedro and his loan company team served as the Mortgage Representative for my home also for my business financing and he helped me closing off loans which really helped me in my business today, we were consistently far above our goal, and this can only be attributable to Mr Pedro's hard work. I appreciate your hard work and also big thanks to your team for helping me with a loan to grow my business. If you are looking for a loan of any kind, contact Mr Pedro on.... pedroloanss@gmail.com
WhatsApp +393510140339 Mr Pedro is an honest loan officer working with a huge number of investors willing to finance any project.
Thankfully, over time our relationship grew beyond work and I’m still happy to call him a trusted friend.