Thursday, June 10, 2010

TRY ME

Lately…
I’ve been visiting someone in the hospital…
After seeing all the “stuff”…
I know I could never be a nurse…
Or an aide…
Let alone a doctor…
(too many potentially fatal decisions)
And it’s not because of all the blood…
Or the body’s yuck and gore…
And not even the many, many odors…
No, it’s all the…
Maneuvering!
Around all the “stuff”…
In tiny, cramped spaces…
With people and chairs…
And equipment everywhere!
I’m not claustrophobic…
But I like to move feely.
I couldn’t tolerate…
Side-stepping…
Shuffling…
Inching…
Twisting…
Turning…
And bending…
Continuously…
For eight to twelve hours a day!
I’d go crazy!
And then there’re all the little packages of pills…
That have to opened.
I don’t have the patience to open one Aleve sinus pill…
In it’s adult-proof foil/plastic packaging…
Because by the time I’ve gotten the pill out…
I not only have a sinus headache…
But a raging  tension headache!
So I can’t imagine trying to get pills out of packages…
All day long for anyone else but me…
And especially…
While wearing latex gloves!
No, working in a hospital definitely takes a skill that I don’t have…
Patience!
But wait!
Haven’t I been waiting patiently to get published?
Why, yes I have.
For years!
Hmm?
So maybe when it comes to careers…
We not only have to pick one that gives us joy…
But doesn’t try our patience.

Always Em-Musing

No comments: