Sunday, September 20, 2009

FREEDOM WRITING

I feel I should explain my writing style to those of you reading this blog. Especially those readers who have an internal editor playing in the back of your brain.

TURN IT OFF!

Because the writing in this blog will drive you nuts. I use “so and well” a lot. I don’t always spell check, or check my grammar. Many times, I’ll use tired and overused clichés. I also start sentences with “and” and “but” and other conjunctions. I use phrases habitually. I italicize frequently. Emphasize using caps regularly. And (shock) I use adverbs ending with "ly" really, really often. 

But (See? I just used a conjunction), I’ve found a freedom in writing like this.

And (See? I did it again), do you want to know why? Because I’ve locked up my inner critic. Yes! I've put her in literary prison and I’ve freed Em my muse and she's in charge now. My inner critic will no longer be able to tell me what I’ve written is crap.

At least not in this blog.

Oh, wow! What freedom!

Do you feel the freedom?

If you’re a writer, you have to feel the freedom in this kind of writing, don’t you? 

So, to all you writers reading this, go ahead, lock-up your inner critic and let your muse out! 

Always, Em-Musing.


P.S. And to all agents who might peruse my blog please note: I have read The Elements of Style by Strunk White and I can assure you that the writing in my novels is cleaner and won't drive you nuts.

No comments: