Thursday, April 5, 2012

E-UREKA!


The alphabet is a journey of 26 letters...
Each letter begins a new story.
Today it's E's turn.
So there I was with a completed manuscript….
An agent had loved the story….
But gave it/me a harsh critique.
Now what do I do?
I knew no other writers to give me feedback…
I had books on writing, but it’s hard talking to a book.
I did have a subscription to Writer’s Digest, though.
I read several issues…
Still clueless.
And then as I was skimming the back of one…
EUREKA! Editorial services!
Yeah, but which one?
So I prayed, and one woman’s name stood out…
Her name was Alice, from Chicago…
She offered a critique of the first 25 pages…
For a great price.
So I sent it. And within a week, she sent it back.
Basically she said the same thing as the agent had…
Just not harsh. She actually was encouraging…
So I sent the whole manuscript…
And when I got it back…
Ah, ah ah….
That’s tomorrow’s “F” story.

Always, Em-Musing

14 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

LOL. Oh dear ... I think I know what the word will be :o) lol

JennaQuentin said...

Editing services like that sound great. Hope the rest of the story is going/went well. Bon chance A-Zing!

Barbara Watson said...

The continuing saga with the A-Z challenge is great! The first advice I got from a published writer friend when I started writing was "let others help you." I thought I could do it on my own even after she said that. I've since learned...

Stephanie said...

The advice of others is always useful. I'm addicted to critique workshops now.

Sara Hill said...

You just keep stringing me along!! See ya tomorrow.

Tracy said...

It's always tricky finding an editor, isn't it? You want someone who is honest, yet not crushing...there's a fine line, isn't there?
Great E word...

Pat Hatt said...

The word won't be what rhyme with duck will it?..lol....yeah finding an editor can be a pain, as someone telling you it is good when it is not is just dumb.

Anne Gallagher said...

Editing. How much fun. A necessary evil to our business.

Gossip_Grl said...

Nice E word and can't wait to hear the continuing on it.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Hopefully she didn't give you an "F" and instead called your work "Fantastic!"
~Margaret

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bet she didn't just say this is wrong - she showed you how to fix it.

Carol Kilgore said...

Now I have to come back tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Loving the alphabet journey... can't wait for 'F'.

Dawn Embers said...

oooo A great post for today. Eureka! Nice.