Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I's GOT IT


The alphabet is a journey of 26 letters...
Each one beginning a new story.. 
For the next few months…
I Ingested Alice’s notes.
Structurally it was all wrong…
“Chapter 3 is really your first chapter…
It’s where the action begins.
Dump the backstory…
Weave those details into the story.
Show, don’t tell.
If you’re going to spew blood…
Make the reader see the blood…
Feel the blood…
Taste the blood…
Without adjectives.”
And those comments were just the beginning.
And so I edited with…
Sweat, tears, and thankfully, no blood…
But I also edited with a whole lot of…
Ah, ah, ah….
Tomorrow “J” will jump on this part.

Always, Em-Musing

15 comments:

farawayeyes said...

Ahhh,no blood. I like blood, especially if you throw in some guts.

Gossip_Grl said...

I find books like you've described that give that edge right in the first chapter are the ones hold my attention from the beginning, the hard to put down books

icedgurl said...

trekking your blog!!! what a blood! hehehe

cheers!
..TREK..

Tracy Jo said...

Wow...I can't imagine the editing process but am so looking forward to it someday. I just love how you are so positive about it, learned from it...instead of taking it personally. What a journey!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Without adjectives - don't you love conditions?

Jennifer Hillier said...

You've got some great notes there! I like her advice on blood. :)

Dawn Embers said...

With a whole lot of umm Juice? That j word will be interesting and I look forward to it.

Sara Hill said...

Ah, ah, ah ... I'm beginning to feel cheated. Ingested? You didn't feed me enough this time. :)

Unknown said...

Very nice...Written like a writer! Like the blog, too.

If you've the chance, pop on over to my blog. I am a writer of kids' books, and my Bella and Britt series is doing well!

Thanks.

J.L. Campbell said...

Congrats on making it through the edits.

Pam Harris said...

This post gave me flashbacks to when I was writing my creative thesis for my MFA program. *shudder* Can't wait to see what happens next!

Sonia Lal said...

LOL Funny poem

Sonia Lal, A to Z challenge

Steven Page said...

Good advice.

Unknown said...

I love following this alphabet story ; )

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

I've always wanted to write a book..but I might not have enough energy! lol