Saturday, April 14, 2012

M-V-R-W-A


The alphabet is a journey of 26 letters...
Each letter begins a story. 
It took me almost as long researching…
Which genre to choose…
As it did editing.
All I kept reading was agents saying…
Picture your book on the shelf…
Next to other books like yours.
I then strolled the aisles of bookstores…
Talked with salespeople…
But there really only was one author—Perriti...
Who wrote similar to what I did.
But though his was horror, it was Christian fiction...
Mine however, was too dark for the Christian market.
Was it too religious to be mainstream?
Oh, what genre to choose—what to choose!
Then one day my daughter, the attorney said,
“Mom, I have a lawyer friend who’s also a writer…
She invited you to her writer group meeting….
Maumee Valley Romance Writers of America, a.k.a. MVRWA.
Maybe I didn’t know what genre my manuscript was…
But I sure knew it wasn’t romance…
However, I figured why not?
Couldn’t hurt.
Well, after going to the meeting…
One thing I learned I was, was…
Na, na, na…
Well, you’ll see tomorrow what they said through “N’s” tale.

Always, Em-Musing

11 comments:

farawayeyes said...

Waiting to know what it is.

Julie Flanders said...

Just caught up on your posts and now I want more to read. Can't wait until Monday to find out what you learned. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Did you learn that there are thousands of genres?

Tracy said...

well, that was a tease...can't wait to find out what you learned!
Have a great weekend!

Dawn Embers said...

hehe nice. I might check out a meeting at some point though most of what I write isn't romance. Then again I considered joining the organization for childrens and young adult writers/illustrators (think it's called SCBWI) but I always wonder if the local groups will handle the glbt stuff I write.

Looking forward to your next post.

Green Monkey said...

ah.... you got me. I'll be back! (I love a good tease)

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

you learned that "N"o romance writers group was going to help you label your book?

Siobhan said...

Waiting to see what N is too.

Laura S. said...

Hello, Leigh! Ooo, I want know what N is! I'm glad you found other writers to help you figure it out. :) Hope you're having a lovely weekend and happy A to Z!!

Shannon Lawrence said...

A cliff hanger! Ugh, genre.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

Betty Alark said...

Just doing some catching up!

http://bettyalark.blogspot.com/