Friday, April 6, 2012

MY FIRST F


The alphabet is a journey of 26 letters...
Each letter begins a story.
Today it's all about F.
So there my manuscript was…
In two 9x 12 mailing envelopes….
Back from Alice, the editor.
I just knew it was a raving review…
Excited, I tore open the first envelope…
Red writing everywhere.
Huh?
“Your story actually begins at chapter 3…
You’re doing a lot of showing, not telling…
You have inconsistencies in your plot, etc.”
Tears pooled…
My lip quivered…
Really? It was that bad?
I threw the manuscript into a drawer…
And proceeded to have a boo hoo session.
Just then my sister called.
“What’s wrong?” 
I could never fool her. So I told her.
“Open the envelope again.”
This time a cover letter came out.
“Your story is well researched. The
characters, believable. With some work you
could turn this into a marketable manuscript.”
“And she showed you how?” my sister asked.
I looked at the editor's notes again with dry eyes.
"Yes!"
FINALLY!
Someone to show me what needed to be fixed.
“So? What’s your next move?” my sister asked.
“I’m going to…
Ah, ah ah…
That’s for “G” to tell you tomorrow.

Always, Em-Musing

12 comments:

Anne Gallagher said...

Oh yes the red line. The first time it really does move you to tears. Every time after that it gets less and less, until, believe it or not, you look forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Better to find out now than later when so much sweat and sacrifice goes into it. I had the same feedback for my first chapter and ended up using snipits from it throughout the book here and there.

Sara Hill said...

Has anyone ever told you you have a flair for the dramatic? :)

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Ha! Loving the story!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Isn't it funny how we first focus on the bad and not the good?
I love a useful R er, F!!!

Dawn Embers said...

This is a good way of telling a story and keeping us hanging, wanting to turn the page. Well done.

Pat Hatt said...

Glad you finally got your finally. When you finally find some good worthwhile feedback it makes all the difference.

Elizabeth said...

I like your story. Can't wait to read what happens in episode "G".

Carol Kilgore said...

The silver lining always means work :)

Kristi said...

Loved this "F" post...sometimes it's all about perspective, isn't it? I'll definitely be back for letter "G". :)

Julie Flanders said...

Love the use of "finally." I find myself in such suspense while reading these short pieces, you're an absolutely fantastic writer.

Roxanne Barbour said...

This is really an F post about Editing. Editing is unbelievably important.
Nice post!
Roxanne