Friday, October 22, 2010

TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

While in LA…
I went to Warner Brothers Studios.
My niece is lead makeup artist on the show The Mentalist
So I got to go behind the scenes…
And besides being introduced to the stars of the show…
(Simon is even better looking in person)
I met many of the crew…
The producers…
And Ashley Gable…
Writer of the particular episode being shot that day.
As one scene was shot many times…
At different camera angles…
I stood behind Ashley with headphones on…
In awe…
But not from listening to the actors  delivering their lines…
But of her—she’s a writer!
What fun it must be to see your words performed.
I also ate in the commissary…
Amongst various cast and crew
And roamed the lot.
While walking down streets with building facades…
Where written stories are played out…
And famous movies and TV shows have been shot…
I realized that just as cameras capture the action in film…
Writers have to capture the action in word.
And while actors play out the scenes…
Characters in a book come alive with words.
And while a movie or TV show has dozens of behind the scene people:
Makeup artists, hairdressers, props masters 
Set designers, wardrobe people, visual effects, grips, etc
To make “make believe” believable…
All that makes "make believe" believable in novels
Still boils down to
Just authors…
And their words.
Wow!

Always, Em-Musing

5 comments:

Elena Solodow said...

The work is indeed cut out for us.

Talli Roland said...

How cool! I'm soooo jealous. Glad your vacation is going well!

Jill Kemerer said...

Ooh, chills! I hear you on being near the writer of the show. How exciting!

I want to hear all about this. :)

Unknown said...

AHHHH *jealous* How amazing that you got to meet the cast, and oh-la-la he's even better looking in person? Is that even possible?

Joanne said...

Sounds like an amazing experience you had. I love that idea, of seeing our words performed. It really takes writing to a whole different level.