Monday, October 4, 2010

UNAGENTED

Phew!
I’m back…
Not only from a near Trojan attack…
That kept my laptop at the geek shop for three days…
But also back from COFW’s Write From the Heart conference in Columbus.
Trust me…
Nothing tears down my mental state more than missing my laptop…
And nothing renews my mental state more than a writer’s conference.
When I signed up for the conference…
I anticipated garnering a pitch session with an agent.
Not! I signed up too late.
I then debated whether to go or not.
Or even stay in the hotel.
Why not just drive up the day of…
Go home right after
And save two days of hotel costs?
I wrestled with these choices…
Until procrastination determined…
No refund was available anymore.
And so I went…
Not expecting much…
But much is what I got.
The keynote speaker, Suzanne Brockmann was fantastic…
The workshop by C.J. Lyons on query letters was fantastic…
The agent/editor panel consisting of…
Laura Bradford, Cori Deyoe, Charles Griemsman, Leis Pederson… 
Was fantastic.
Meeting other writers and connecting was uber fantastic…
And as an added bonus…
I won one of the raffles for a query critique…
Woo Hoo, Yee Haw! (I usually never win anything)
That came at just the right time because…
I got another query critique back last week…
Indicating I needed to change it—AGAIN!
And so, with the input from this conference…
I’m hammering out yet another version of my query…
And will fire that bad baby out this week…
And do the “wait and see”
AGAIN!
But that’s OK…
Because besides talent
The biggest part of a writing career is
Persistence
And I don't need an agent for that.

Always, Em-Musing

1 comment:

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

This is a quick fly-by to say welcome to the "Romancing the Blog" blog-hop. Hope to see you having fun with us at blogfeasts and blogfests etc!

What a b*mmer to get a Trojan.

best
F

F